I am in Waterman, since I have no internet access anywhere else and needed to check my email.
I posted a "housing wanted" advert on craigslist last week. One of my friends did it before and it worked out really well. Well, I got an email from this woman with pictures and details about the apartment. I had a feeling that it was a scam but continued to write to her thinking that maybe she was sincere. However, when she told me to wire money to Nigeria, I knew that it was a 419, a money-laundering scam targeted towards Americans and, occasionally, the British. Obviously I cut off all emails with her and reported her address to the Belgian authorities. It sucks because I was kind of hoping to have a place before I arrived, but now I know that I will be staying at the school's hotel until I can find a place and a roommate in person, because I don't want to go through this again.
The woman at Waterman also can't notarize my letter because the doctor wasn't physically present to sign it. So now I have to figure out how I can get it notarized or pay the $200 for the embassy-recognized doctor to tell me that I don't have the bubonic plague. This whole thing is becoming a giant pain in the ass.
In other news, Vermont is absolutely beautiful today, and I am going to go out and enjoy it.
I posted a "housing wanted" advert on craigslist last week. One of my friends did it before and it worked out really well. Well, I got an email from this woman with pictures and details about the apartment. I had a feeling that it was a scam but continued to write to her thinking that maybe she was sincere. However, when she told me to wire money to Nigeria, I knew that it was a 419, a money-laundering scam targeted towards Americans and, occasionally, the British. Obviously I cut off all emails with her and reported her address to the Belgian authorities. It sucks because I was kind of hoping to have a place before I arrived, but now I know that I will be staying at the school's hotel until I can find a place and a roommate in person, because I don't want to go through this again.
The woman at Waterman also can't notarize my letter because the doctor wasn't physically present to sign it. So now I have to figure out how I can get it notarized or pay the $200 for the embassy-recognized doctor to tell me that I don't have the bubonic plague. This whole thing is becoming a giant pain in the ass.
In other news, Vermont is absolutely beautiful today, and I am going to go out and enjoy it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home