Vermont was wonderful, as always.
A play-by-play, if you will:
Monday: Absolutely beautiful weather. Drove to Burlington, met up with Roger, went to ZPizza (apparently a south/southwest chain? I'm not sure...Vermont seems to be getting a lot of those lately). Anyway, we had a 18" pie with carmelized onions, button, shittake, and portabello mushrooms, and two Heinekens. Great. Then we watched The Exorcism of Emily Rose, which was disappointingly boring (a reminder why I don't like a lot of more recent movies).
Tuesday: Uncommon Grounds for a tea, writing, and hanging around downtown. Went with R to testdrive a manual Acura RLX (I think that's the name)...took it for a ride all over the backroads of Vermont, listening to XM Satellite and attempting to find the ipod input. Then met up with my girl, LA, for dinner at Moe's (burritos...see southern chain, above) and then went to see The Omen, which was also horrible. Bad ending, not scary, just boring. A lot of high high-schoolers in a brady-bunch decorated theatre. But LA and I drank a couple of cold ones in the audi (in soda cups, no less) and had fun, so the movie wasn't a total loss.
Wednesday: 9am meeting with the lovely notary lady, who walked over to the student health center (not an impossible task, but it seems to be for the OIE), and we all laughed at the absurdities of the Belgian consulate. Then went to PC with LA and Hannah for a killer omelette. They changed their menu and the prices, which was disappointing to Eric and I, who are PC aficionados. Went to the Catamount Trail with said Eric, where we bemoaned our futures and pathetic temporary jobs. It was nice. Wednesday night---hmm. I don't really remember. Oh, yes. Drinking and getting late Chinese food. Fun.
Thursday: Hung around for awhile, ate some Red Onion. Then went to Uncommon to play one and two-deck Rummy. THEN went to the waterfront for Macedo Parker. Roger and I had quite the time trying to get tickets with this crazy, bug-eyed woman with out-of-control frizz. But we finally got in and it was amazing. Jazz from 6-11pm, so wonderful, and all people of all ages dancing. There was this guy next to me who must have been 60, dancing with his wife, it was so nice to see. I loved the entire evening. Then it was Denny's because KKD was too busy, and we got ridiculous breakfasts for dinners (beer does not count as dinner) and then I went back to L's and fell asleep.
Friday: Woke up, went to Mirabelle's with LA for brunch (frittata with asparagus, roasted red peppers, onions, and goat cheese). We were speaking in French and reading a random French Elle that someone left behind and then started listening to some Quebecois behind us. LA had to go to work, and it was sad saying goodbye. Then I went to Crow's to look for another Wharton novel, and my favorite guy was there. We talked for a bit and then he shook my hand solemnly and I left. Drank some coffee, wrote at Muddys. Got a tea at Uncommon, bought a DBJF tote, printed some Belgian things out at the Cyber Cafe, got into the MM, and drove off. It was about a five-hour drive, I was really tired by the time I got back to the Cape, and went to bed.
Today: Work at 8am in the pouring rain. Fucking vacuum wouldn't work and then we did all of this cleaning, shed-organizing, etc. Our boss wanted to give us hours, so that was nice, but I was soaked-through, sick, and tired by 4, when they told me to go home. There was a fight at the pool between two middle-aged women, it was sad and bizarre. They didn't pay me correctly. Whatever. Overall, it's fine, but I'm glad that it's only for the summer. Came back here, nothing to eat, took a whirlpool with some stuff from BodyShop, and now I'm in a long-sleeve polo, wool sweater, and jeans because it's 52F out. I know. Out to dinner tonight for lobster, then reading, and crawling into bed. It's only 6:19 and I'm tired. Work tomorrow, 8am-6pm.
I finished This Side of Paradise last Sunday, when I was working alone in the drizzle for 10 hours. It was excellent, better than Tender and nearly on-par with The Sun also Rises. Now I'm reading Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence. It's okay, I'm not really into her style at this point in the novel. I've read Ethan Frome before, but this is different. She seems to be a little too overt in satirizing the upper-class (in a similar way as Wendell Berry), and these "in-your-face" messages distract me. I'd like to think that the reader has the intelligence to figure out the meaning for him/herself. However, it was highly recommended by EMS, so I have to give it a try.
I think that's all.
A play-by-play, if you will:
Monday: Absolutely beautiful weather. Drove to Burlington, met up with Roger, went to ZPizza (apparently a south/southwest chain? I'm not sure...Vermont seems to be getting a lot of those lately). Anyway, we had a 18" pie with carmelized onions, button, shittake, and portabello mushrooms, and two Heinekens. Great. Then we watched The Exorcism of Emily Rose, which was disappointingly boring (a reminder why I don't like a lot of more recent movies).
Tuesday: Uncommon Grounds for a tea, writing, and hanging around downtown. Went with R to testdrive a manual Acura RLX (I think that's the name)...took it for a ride all over the backroads of Vermont, listening to XM Satellite and attempting to find the ipod input. Then met up with my girl, LA, for dinner at Moe's (burritos...see southern chain, above) and then went to see The Omen, which was also horrible. Bad ending, not scary, just boring. A lot of high high-schoolers in a brady-bunch decorated theatre. But LA and I drank a couple of cold ones in the audi (in soda cups, no less) and had fun, so the movie wasn't a total loss.
Wednesday: 9am meeting with the lovely notary lady, who walked over to the student health center (not an impossible task, but it seems to be for the OIE), and we all laughed at the absurdities of the Belgian consulate. Then went to PC with LA and Hannah for a killer omelette. They changed their menu and the prices, which was disappointing to Eric and I, who are PC aficionados. Went to the Catamount Trail with said Eric, where we bemoaned our futures and pathetic temporary jobs. It was nice. Wednesday night---hmm. I don't really remember. Oh, yes. Drinking and getting late Chinese food. Fun.
Thursday: Hung around for awhile, ate some Red Onion. Then went to Uncommon to play one and two-deck Rummy. THEN went to the waterfront for Macedo Parker. Roger and I had quite the time trying to get tickets with this crazy, bug-eyed woman with out-of-control frizz. But we finally got in and it was amazing. Jazz from 6-11pm, so wonderful, and all people of all ages dancing. There was this guy next to me who must have been 60, dancing with his wife, it was so nice to see. I loved the entire evening. Then it was Denny's because KKD was too busy, and we got ridiculous breakfasts for dinners (beer does not count as dinner) and then I went back to L's and fell asleep.
Friday: Woke up, went to Mirabelle's with LA for brunch (frittata with asparagus, roasted red peppers, onions, and goat cheese). We were speaking in French and reading a random French Elle that someone left behind and then started listening to some Quebecois behind us. LA had to go to work, and it was sad saying goodbye. Then I went to Crow's to look for another Wharton novel, and my favorite guy was there. We talked for a bit and then he shook my hand solemnly and I left. Drank some coffee, wrote at Muddys. Got a tea at Uncommon, bought a DBJF tote, printed some Belgian things out at the Cyber Cafe, got into the MM, and drove off. It was about a five-hour drive, I was really tired by the time I got back to the Cape, and went to bed.
Today: Work at 8am in the pouring rain. Fucking vacuum wouldn't work and then we did all of this cleaning, shed-organizing, etc. Our boss wanted to give us hours, so that was nice, but I was soaked-through, sick, and tired by 4, when they told me to go home. There was a fight at the pool between two middle-aged women, it was sad and bizarre. They didn't pay me correctly. Whatever. Overall, it's fine, but I'm glad that it's only for the summer. Came back here, nothing to eat, took a whirlpool with some stuff from BodyShop, and now I'm in a long-sleeve polo, wool sweater, and jeans because it's 52F out. I know. Out to dinner tonight for lobster, then reading, and crawling into bed. It's only 6:19 and I'm tired. Work tomorrow, 8am-6pm.
I finished This Side of Paradise last Sunday, when I was working alone in the drizzle for 10 hours. It was excellent, better than Tender and nearly on-par with The Sun also Rises. Now I'm reading Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence. It's okay, I'm not really into her style at this point in the novel. I've read Ethan Frome before, but this is different. She seems to be a little too overt in satirizing the upper-class (in a similar way as Wendell Berry), and these "in-your-face" messages distract me. I'd like to think that the reader has the intelligence to figure out the meaning for him/herself. However, it was highly recommended by EMS, so I have to give it a try.
I think that's all.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home