Saturday, November 11, 2006

chicago, i like you!

Today was a really good day. It started out with sleeping in--no alarm, no annoying techno music, nothing. I got up slowly, read my LP guide, and planned my route for the day. Then, armed with the red tote and the toggle coat, I set out on my adventure.

I went up to Lincoln Park first--along the insane Michigan Avenue with its Tiffany's (not Tuffany's), Saks, so on and so forth. I got off the bus at Lincoln Park Zoo. It's the only free major zoo in the United States. I have mixed feelings about zoos; I only visit them if they are for rehabilitation purposes. This zoo was amazing. I saw seals, tortoises, zebras, lions, tigers, no bears (polar bears weren't there today...my favorites), flamingos, penguins, bats, and snakes, among others. After, I went to the Lincoln Park Conservatory, which was amazing. I absolutely loved it. I have this thing for greenhouses and conservatories. I kind of want one in my back yard, Wonder Boys style.

After, I walked north to the Bourgeois Pig Cafe, also in Lincoln Park. The road to get there is beautiful, lined with brick townhouses and falling leaves. The cafe was good, the food so-so. It was nice to just sit and read for a bit. Then I took the bus back to Michigan Ave and walked to the Contemporary Museum of Photography for an exhibit on war and emotion, which was excellent. A few stops later (HM for a cute skirt and earrings) and BN (just because), I took the El home. There were painfully suburban girls sitting next to me, flashing their $500 cameras in South Chicago, while two other girls made out against the window. Awesome.

Tomorrow I'm going to Chinatown in the morning, followed by Wicker Park and maybe Hyde Park in the afternoon. I really, really hope I have Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays off while I am here. That would be excellent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home