When all else fails...
I am in Panera in Chicago. I like this place because it has free wireless internet. The turkey artichoke sandwiches aren't so bad either. I don't know how I feel about eating in a white, middle-class, fast-food restaurant that plays Sade, but whatever. Every Panera is more or less the same, and that's comforting. You can find them in Chicago, Pennsylvania, Michigan, but maybe not Camden (as Mama J found out).
I will be 23 one week from today. I think of everything that happened in the past year--England, thesis, graduating, Gram's fall, meeting Tim, embarking on this work adventure, and I'm struck how unbelievably lucky I am and just how much can actually happen in one year. It's amazing. I hope that 23 brings similar challenges and triumphs.
Thanksgiving is also one week from tomorrow. I will be home! I haven't had Thanksgiving since 2004. I am so excited for my uncle's pistachio stuffing and listening to his Libertarian rants, talking with my grandmother, and having fun with my cousins, aunts, and uncles. I do think it's true--the more you move around, the more you appreciate people who have known you for a long time; people that know your bad sides and your good sides. The people who have watched you grow up and continue to support you. It's very comforting. I am excited just to be home and be stable for awhile.
Chicago is more or less fine. The schools are both good, and at this point, I don't have to teach a lot, but I still have a decent amount of students. 20 is a whole lot better than the 0 I had last week. I'm starting to think of fun stuff for the kids to do, like quizzes and puzzles. It amazes me that I stand in front of a class and they listen to me. They use the skills. Sometimes I feel like I should still be in high school myself. My living situation is really nice. I drive a half hour to work and come home to a warm place to live and a now parkable driveway. Frances, Q's nurse, never lets me leave without a hug and Q and Pam always include me in their book-reading and movie nights. It's nice. I am lucky.
I have been a little sick lately, like I usually do when I am at each assignment. Just drained, sore throat, stomachaches, that sort of thing. I think it's just subconcious stress that I try to repress. I don't want to be angry with people or always complaining, so it usually shows up in poor sleep or eating habits.
This weekend I might go see Hamlet at the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre on Navy Pier! Otherwise, I will see Twelfth Night.
I should do some work and go back to school.
I will be 23 one week from today. I think of everything that happened in the past year--England, thesis, graduating, Gram's fall, meeting Tim, embarking on this work adventure, and I'm struck how unbelievably lucky I am and just how much can actually happen in one year. It's amazing. I hope that 23 brings similar challenges and triumphs.
Thanksgiving is also one week from tomorrow. I will be home! I haven't had Thanksgiving since 2004. I am so excited for my uncle's pistachio stuffing and listening to his Libertarian rants, talking with my grandmother, and having fun with my cousins, aunts, and uncles. I do think it's true--the more you move around, the more you appreciate people who have known you for a long time; people that know your bad sides and your good sides. The people who have watched you grow up and continue to support you. It's very comforting. I am excited just to be home and be stable for awhile.
Chicago is more or less fine. The schools are both good, and at this point, I don't have to teach a lot, but I still have a decent amount of students. 20 is a whole lot better than the 0 I had last week. I'm starting to think of fun stuff for the kids to do, like quizzes and puzzles. It amazes me that I stand in front of a class and they listen to me. They use the skills. Sometimes I feel like I should still be in high school myself. My living situation is really nice. I drive a half hour to work and come home to a warm place to live and a now parkable driveway. Frances, Q's nurse, never lets me leave without a hug and Q and Pam always include me in their book-reading and movie nights. It's nice. I am lucky.
I have been a little sick lately, like I usually do when I am at each assignment. Just drained, sore throat, stomachaches, that sort of thing. I think it's just subconcious stress that I try to repress. I don't want to be angry with people or always complaining, so it usually shows up in poor sleep or eating habits.
This weekend I might go see Hamlet at the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre on Navy Pier! Otherwise, I will see Twelfth Night.
I should do some work and go back to school.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home